Lon Williamson wrote:

"Question:  Is it the absolute diameter of the aperature,
or some formula taking into account diameter _and_
distance from the film that causes diffraction limiting?"

My understanding is that diffraction gets much worse as the aperture gets
further away from the film plane. It makes sense when you think about it.
Diffraction is a bending of light. If the light is bent 1 degree off it's
path for a given aperture (I picked that number out of the air - I have no
idea what angle it actually bends) then the amount of diffraction would
increase as the aperture moves away from the film plane. Diffraction can
become an issue in macro photography when you add extension between the lens
and the camera. The effective aperture becomes extremely small and
diffraction increases.

This has a more in depth discussion of it:

http://www.scubageek.com/geek/articles/diffraction.pdf

Tom Reese