On 20 Jun 2004 at 10:50, Joseph Tainter wrote:

> Interesting. Pentax thinks that the DA 16-45 gives its best mtf
> performance wide open (f4.0) between 16 and 24 mm., and f4.5 thereafter.
> So is the DA 16-45 a diffraction limited lens? And in terms of everyday
> shooting, what does that mean? (I've used it at f16 when I wanted DOF,
> and that the results were stunning.)

The sensor in the *ist D is more sensitive to colour convergence errors than
absolute sharpness, the sensor is really quite low resolution relative to film.
Plus MTF is generally not a broad-band measure, it's generally at a specific
colour, as such it's very difficult to relate MTF to absolute sharpness
performance particularly relative to Bayer sensor based digital cameras.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998