F lenses are hard to find used, and presumably impossible to find new.
They aren't exactly attractive, and they don't have the build quality
of even the A lenses.  Manual focus with them is not great (in common with
early AF lenses from other manufacturers).  Most of the good ones appear
to be optically identical to the A versions.  All of these seem to be
valid reasons why the F lenses are unpopular.

I believe their regular F primes were built well, certainly better than FA lenses. They may have plastic shells, but metal inside.

Really the only NEW F primes I can think of are the 300/4.5 and the
135/2.8, both of which are well regarded, and the 600/4 which we
understandably don't hear much about.

You missed the macros, and the F*250-600/5.6 too.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines