So much for demand side economics.

William Robb

William you could be right. Film may go away sooner than I realize. It may
shoot up in price because fewer people are using it. But I don't think the
"market' is that simple. I expect it to be much like the stock market UNPREDICTABLE
(and I like to think of myself as a contrarian rather than a Lemming). If
Kodak and Fuji want to keep selling film they will find cheaper ways to produce
it. That may mean less choice. But I don't need 10-20 different types of film.
I need a good slow speed film, medium and semi-fast in chrome and print.
Define Soon you ask? I don't know what soon is. I think if I want to shoot
film in 10 years I will be able to at a reasonable cost. I don't think the
corner drug store will necessarily be offering film processing, but do we really
want to bring our film to corner drug stores anyway?
I could be completely wrong. In five years I may be sitting on some very
expensive paperweights. What bothers me is that the people who are pushing d
igital-is-the-future, write about it as if they know the future. They've figured the
whole thing out. Sheesh, I hope they're buying stocks in this digital stuff.
P.S. -I am not anti-digital. I own a Canon digital point and shoot camera. I
THINK IT IS GREAT. When I think I need a digital SLR I will buy it. I work at
a major daily newspaper where the photogs have used digital Nikons for many
years. They are incredibly useful in the fast-paced world of photojournalism.
But that's not a world many of US live in. We may think we do, but waiting an
hour or a day to get film back is rarely going to cost us anything but
inconvenience...
I know many will not agree with me. I don't like going on an on about a
subject that has no real answer (yet) so this is my last word for now on the
subject.
Thanks
Vic
PS. sorry for the longish post...