> Otherwise, the Tokina 100-300/4 AF, which is said to be even
> better than its manual-focus forebear. Big and heavy, but a fine
> performer.

I've never used the autofocus version of the AT-X 100-300/4, but it
must be fantastic if it's better than the manual focus version.

I have some sample shots and a transcription of resolution and
contrast results from the Modern Photo review of the manual focus
version at http://www.cetussoft.com/pentax/x1003004/ .

The two versions are optically and mechanically quite different. The
manual focus design is a one-touch zoom, while the autofocus design
is a two-touch design (I believe).

Fred