Hi Boz!

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Bojidar Dimitrov wrote:

> Decreasing the aperture and increasing the time accordingly will NORMALLY
> produce a picture with the same brightness.  You have to EITHER close the
> aperture OR decrease the time.
>
> Now, why didn't this happen with your second shot?  First, the MZ-M like
> 99,9% of all cameras meter on automatic only up to 30 seconds, so you
> didn't get your 64 seconds.

I was using bulb mode during my second shot. Therefore the meter was not
active.

> Second and more important, when a film
> receives very little light, then the trick with doubling the time does not
> really work.  You have to tripple or even quadrupple the time for one
> f-stop difference.

I didn't know this part of "film story".

> Anyhow, try your shot again, with the same lighting.  Set the camera to
> manual operation, and take several shots: f/5,6 and 4 seconds and f/8 and 4
> seconds.  This should give you two pics with -1 and -2 stop exposure.  In
> other words, 1 stop and 2 stop darker than your initial photo.
>
> NOW; BIG WARNING.  Even if this yields correct exposure on the negatives,
> the lab that makes the prints will automatically apply +1 and +2 stop
> correction in order to "correct" your underexposed pictures.  You need to
> tell them NOT to do that automatic correction.

> Cheers,
> Boz

Thank you very much. I will do the experiments that you have described and
as Rob has suggested to note down the the exposure values, I will do that
also so that I can compare with results of my previous experiments.

With best regards,
Ayash Kanto.