Yes it can, there is a menu option that needs to be changed though. It
is something like "Allow shutter release in non-A position." At least
that's what I remember from getting my M50/1.4 to work on my photo
teacher's *istD.
For a stopdown, or fixed-aperture lens, that should be all that's
necessary to get it to fire properly.

-Mat