----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Jesser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: May 22, 2001 10:58 AM
Subject: Tamron 300mm f5.6, 58mm filter

> I have just acquired a Tamron 300mm f5.6, 58mm filter thread
in an M42
> mount. Cost was the equivalent of $78 US. It appears to be in
perfect
> condition. I am just waiting on a bayonet adapter so I can use
it. The only
> info I could find on the web says it is sharp.
>
> Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with this lens?
>
> My main use would be nature photography. I do a lot of bush
walking and
> travel light. I don't go for big blow-ups but I need to get
shots that are
> at least of publishable quality.

I have a Tamron SP 300mm f5.6 which I also aquired quite
inexpensively. I quite like mine. It is well built, and has very
good imaging qualities. This lens was discussed briefly a while
back, and another list member (Alan Chan, I think)  stated it
was quite soft. Mine is quite sharp, go figure.
It is very compact for a lens of that focal length, which I
like. I will almost always give up a stop of speed to get a
smaller lens, as long as the lens is a good one.
William Robb