At 01:53 PM 5/21/01 -0400, you wrote:
>The Limited lenses are intended to compete directly with
>Leica. Leica has always had a 90mm. Furthermore, someone on
>the list mentioned some sort of converter that had a 1.2x
>magnification that IIRC was supposed to allow Pentax SLR
>lenses to be used on Leicas (no not in production). The
>limited lenses are all about 1.2x off from more common focal
>lengths.  Of course you are free to believe that 1.2 factor
>on all the limited lenses is just a coincidence.

I don't see Pentax trying to compete with Lieca with the limined lenses, it
seems more like they are building lenses for a niche market other SLRs
makers are mostly ignoring.  And if they wanted to compete with Lieca why
not release 50mm, 90mm, instead of focal lengths 1.2x off?

And are you talking about Leica SLRs or rangefinders for this adaptor?  I
would think an adaptor to the rangefinders would be nearly useless, as
there would be no linkages to the focus aids in the viewfinder, leaving
just the distance scale to focus with.  Plus a large SLR lens would
probably block the viewfinder.  So that leaves Leica SLRs.  Anyway such an
adaptor would take away part of the uniqueness of these lenses - the odd
focal lengths.

>The problem with your 120 or 150 is that Pentax has made
>lenses of those focal lengths and none of the Limited lenses
>so far have been of common focal lengths. Also all the
>Limited lenses so far have a focal length that end in odd
>numbers. So I seriously doubt your prediction.

I meant 120-150mm, as in a range of focal lengths.  There were even rumors
of something like a 124mm Macro a while back.

>If there actually is to be a 23mm Limited lens it will
>undoubtedly be far more compact and sturdily built as well
>as more expensive than the FA 24/2. Therefor, it would not
>be a direct competitor.

Better built, definently.  But a 23mm Limited lens can not be much smaller
than the FA 24mm unless they choose something slower than a F1.8 or F1.9
opening.  Fast lenses need big glass, and you aren't going to be able to
cram a 23mm F1.9 lens into a small package.  On the other hand I called
Pentax nuts for making the 43mm F1.9 limited, as it would compete too
closely with the cheaper and faster 50mm lenses, but I was wrong.

Todd