"Rob Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I got a D with the FAJ 18-35 and Sigma DC 55-200 as a package.
>Both lenses are ultra lightweight, flimsy
>plastic all over (remember I'm used to metal tanks), but perform OK and
>better than many of the kit lenses around now.  The 18-35 gives the better
>results of the two although I'll be using the 16-45 as a replacement. The
>Sigma I'm pleased with, the results are tolerable and the reach and light
>weight ideal for taking rock climbing pictures - it's also cheap enough that
>I won't cry if it gets banged hard against a rock, although I wouldn't
>expect it to survive the experience :-)

Last year at Grandfather Mountain I borrowed an FA-J 18-35 from Bill
Owens for my mountain expedition. It certainly feels cheap and flimsy
but I'll confirm that it's not bad optically. I got some shots that are
good to 12 x 18 print size. I was quite impressed and more than a little
surprised.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing