Use mirror lockup.  The KX is incredibly noisy with the mirror down, with
it up all I hear is a click when the shutter is 1/125-1/1000.  As a matter
of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the KX and K2 are both the noisiest and
quietest Pentaxes, depending on if the mirror is locked up or not :)  As
for the motor advance, I don't know.  The MZ series is pretty loud, but I
bet if you got one of those 5 fps MX or LX motor drives going, it would be
even louder.

BTW, I wonder what camera(s) they were using on that safari, as metallic
shutter sound they describe doesn't sound (hehe) like a newer camera.

Todd