Dear Confused (grin),

Otimised is prehaps the wrong word. Economized is better. What happens is
diffraction gets worse at smaller apertures. Most other aberations get worse at
larger apertures. There is nothing that can be done about diffraction it is a
basic law of physics, but the others can be improved by throwing money at them.

Historically lens designers felt the optimum cost/performance range was about 3
stops down from wide open. But lens manufacturing techniques and materials have
improved over the years (50 years ago the modern zoom and ultra wide angle
lenses were practical impossibilities), and it is now fairly easy and cheap to
produce a prime that is optimized at 1 stop down, so many are. There were, even
back in the 1950's, a few very expensive fast (f/2.0 or better) lenses that
were diffraction limited (sharpest wide open) available.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"

Boris Liberman wrote:
Hi!

Recent talk about 28/3.5 and 16-45 zoom performance got me confused.

My (probably very much Boris-the-average) belief was that most lenses
are optimized at 3 or so stops from their widest aperture. So, for
most f/2.8 lenses it would be f/8 or thereabouts.

Is it right thing to assume? Or there is something quite basic that escapes me?

Unconfuse me, will you please? :)