On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:50:23 -0400, Frank Theriault wrote:

>My last "assignment" for June is Gary L. Murphy, "Texas Architecture".
>
>I have to admit, I was a bit taken aback when I first saw this one.
>"This isn't architecture", I thought.  How dare he!  "We must take these
>themes seriously", thought I!

Yeah, I knew I was "stretching" it a bit. Okay, a lot.... :-)

>Then, I relaxed, and realized that this is all about fun.  What's wrong
>with a little "creative interpretation" of a theme?  That being said,
>this is a wonderful photo!

Thanks, Frank.

>I love the pattern on the one with the horns (is that the steer?  I'm

Yup, that thar be a genuine Texas longhorn. (A rather young one I might add)

>guessing yes).  And the colour of the other one (is that a cow? A

Yup, that thar be a cow.

>heifer?  Is there a difference?) is beautifully captured.  The

Difference? Ya knows about them thar birds and bees Frank? :-) Not to worry, a steer
can't do nuttin'. He
been fixed, hence the name, "steer".

>foreground is a little bit washed out, and the background is a bit
>darker than I might prefer, but I guess you have to get the subjects
>right, don't you?

True, and the lighting for that shot was a bit odd. If memory serves, I think I used
the spot metering of the 5N
on the cow and dialed in a stop of EV.

>The composition is lovely:  both animals facing in opposite directions,
>the one with the really big horns (the steer?) staring at the camera,
>and the one with the little horns (cow?) gazing somewhat indefferently
>off in the distance.  Beautifully rendered and framed.  You caught a
>moment!

Thanks. We were driving down a country road and I slammed on the brakes almost giving
my wife a heart
attack. Grab the camera and hoofed it on over. (No pun intended) I was hoping they
would not move, which
they didn't except for the steer turing to see what I was up to.

>For me, the image captures Texas exactly as I imagined, kind of scrubby,
>grassy, doggies (Texas longhorns, no less) on the range.  I kind of
>expect Billy Crystal to pop his head into the picture at any time!  :-)

HaHaHa! I know what you mean there!! (City Slickers)

>But seriously, the question of theme aside, it's a wonderful image, well
>executed, and fun to look at - and that's gotta be what it's all about,

Thanks again, Frank for the nice words. Glad you like the image.

>isn't it?  And Gary, maybe that steer wasn't giving you "the evil eye",
>maybe he just took a fancy to you!

Watch it now! :-))

Later,
Gary