I'd guess that just how much tension it takes to activate the automatic film
rewind sequence in a camera body is a design parameter for the camera but,
the length of the film in the cartridge is a function of the quality control
folks at the film manufacturers, as is the drag present in a normally
advancing film. I'm sure there are more variables that I'm not considering.

I also learned, from experience, that the earliest models of many equipment
items (not just cameras) can need minor adjustments.  Something about market
(and marketing) pressure forcing release before testing is completed, which
makes all of the early buyers become beta testers.  Not that the members of
the PDML were actually pressing Pentax to release a new camera, oh no, that
would never happen. ;-)

That's kind of why I like to wait a while and see what people say about
them.  Perhaps one of our list keepers should make a list of all the
troubles reported and publish the list periodically.  The most important
thing to do is to return the camera for in-warranty repairs promptly.  This
will provide feedback to the factory that something needs attention.

Len
---