Juan wrote:

You might also want to do a day trip from Madrid to Toledo, it is very
near and quite worth seeing, but then again, don't do it if it means
not going to Granada.

Sevilla is great, but I'd skip it given only one week.

Hi, John:
What Juan has written is good advice. In your limited time, in Madrid you can see the Prado Museum, and as you seem interested in art, in case you like contemporary art you should also visit Reina Sofia museum. In third place, if time permits, there is the very interesting Thyssen-Bornemisza. As you seem to be going towards Southern Spain and you've got little time, I'd suggest going to Cordoba instead of Sevilla, and afterwards Granada like you wrote. Lucas suggested the "Paradores" chain of hotels. They're excellent, although really expensive. Instead, you can choose whatever medium prize hotels you please, because hotels in Spain are good to excellent, provided you don't choose the cheapest possible accomodation. Even in that case, many places are decent.

Regards,

Carlos (living in Zaragoza, Northeastern Spain)