My slightly used *istD arrived from KEH last week. I have been quite impressed with the images it produces in the short time I have been playing with it. I haven't spent much time with the RAW files but clearly, the results in tiff format are fantastic.

This camera feels like a normal film camera and has a minum of control knobs and setting widgets. By comparison I use a Canon G5 occasionally at work and it is very difficult to use all of its control features. The ability to use existing K and screwmout lenses was a big factor in my descision too. The only down side is that non-A K mount lenses have limited functinality and ease of use.

Pentax scored big with the *istD!

RCB
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: Ordered the DS this Morning

In a message dated 8/29/2005 1:38:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Lab quality was a big motivator for me as well. I was an "old film fart"and had labeled the *istD "a useless toy" when it was announced, but I switched to
digital about 20 months ago. At the time I was regularly getting scratched
negs from the lab that had always done a good job on my color neg processing, and the pro lab that did my transparencies kept kinking the 120 film. A local pro
then showed me the results he could get shooting RAW with a 6 megapixel
camera and converting in PSCS. That clinched it. Going digital was one of the best
photography decisions I've ever made.

Congratulations Shel. I'm sure you'll enjoy the camera in whatever manner you
ultimately decide to employ it.

Paul
=========
Ditto. There is only one lab left in the area that I liked. The others had
closed down or did mediocre or lousy work. So that was a signal to me to move on. I actually haven't taken any film to them for a couple of years, so I am not
sure their quality has deteriorated. But probably not. OTOH, they finally
added the capability to do prints from digital. I haven't tried that yet, but I
am thinking about it. Get a really big print.

I bet prints from digital media is the bulk of their business now. Although there are a fair number of film diehards around here. But as it is lab owned by two brothers (I am pretty sure), and the equipment they had to buy to upgrade to do digital scans and prints from digital was quite expensive, it's likely
film has now become a small percentage of their business.

It may get to the point that color film shooters have no option but to send
their film away to someplace to get prints. On the Net or otherwise.

Marnie