> If members of the public were prevented/prohibited from buying camera
> gear higher spec'd than what they need, the major camera manufacturers
> would be out of business in a week.

Isn't that a fun thing to think about.

Joe Photographer: "Hi, can I take a look at that 80-320 zoom?"

Clerk: "Let me check my records here."
<does a computer look up?
"I'm sorry sir. Your last batch of pictures failed the Photographer
Qualification test. I can't sell you anything in this case."

Joe Photographer: " What are you talking about?"

Clerk: Out of 36 shots, 10 were out of focus, 15 were blurry, you accidently
took three pictures of the floor, you had tilted horizons in two others and the
other six were mediocre compositions."

Joe Photographer: "So?"

Clerk: "You only scored a 5 on the Photographer Competency scale. You need a
minimum of 15 to look at these lenses. You're only allowed to buy the stuff
with a purple sticker."