I'm not an engineer, but I don't think there is a definitive answer. It's a
moving target. Sensor quality varies. It's theoretically possible, although
perhaps not likely, to produce an 8 megapixel APS-C sensor that has less noise
than an 8 megapixel full frame sensor. At the same time, I suppose it's
possible to produce a 4 megapixel APS-C sized sensor that has more noise than a
14 megapixel full frame sensor. There are too many variables to define a
crossover point. You can only judge each sensor and camera individually.
Paul