On Nov 30, 2005, at 13:11, Glen wrote:

I've been told that a lot of DSLR cameras use only the green channel when calculating the histogram, instead of the full RGB data. Does the Pentax *istDS display a true RGB histogram, or not? It seems that there have been times when the histogram hasn't been entirely accurate for me. I got clipped highlights sometimes when the histogram didn't suggest any such thing.

Sounds like something that could be checked by taking a full-frame photo of something that is entirely blue, entirely red, and entirely green. Assuming the metering is about 18% grey for all 3 targets, I would expect the histogram (if monochromatic) to look wildly different between the 3 photos.

(with the understanding that the idea of "pure" green/red/blue targets is more theoretical than achievable, but it should be close enough to get the idea, doncha think?)

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]