There's no one definite answer - it's a personal decision.

Obviously, for a given megapixel count, a larger sensor will be better.

The problem comes if you keep the sensor size fixed; does the extra
resolution you get from more megapixels outweigh the decrease in
signal-to-noise ratio (assuming comparable technology; this years 8MP
sensor way well have a better signal-to-noise ratio than last years 6MP).
There has to be a point beyond which extra resolution isn't important.