Coming late to this, but as Bob W's normal erudtion seems to have taken a holiday:

British Isles (n) - a small archipelago off the North West coast of Europe.

Great Britain (GB) (n) - an island, the largest (hence the word "great") of the British Isles. It contains the nations of England, Scotland and Wales. The term has no other correct meaning (Winston Churchill, please note).

Ireland (n) - second largest island of the British Isles. It contains the country of Eire (the independent Republic of Ireland) and the pseudo-nation of Northern Ireland. The separation (in 1917) occurred largely as a result of religious differences. The working classes are keen to observe the differences (there are separate national soccer teams and terrorist organisations), whilst the middle classes aren't (at rugby, one team represents all Ireland).

UK (n) - a country, in full the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

English (adj) - pertaining to the nation of England and its people. Their nationality, however, is British, not English.

English (n) - the language of England, and main language of the British Isles. Dialects are found world-wide.

British (adj) - a term which until the independence of Eire related to the whole of the British Isles. Now it relates only to the UK.

Britain (n) - a synonym for the UK. Some people who should know better (including The Economist and W Churchill) erroneously use Great Britain when they mean Britain.

Irish (adj) - pertaining to Ireland (the island), OR to Eire (esp. as regards nationality).

Northern Irish (adj) - pertaining to Northern Ireland (but the nationality of the people is British, and their language English).

Irish AKA Gaelic or Erse (n) - original language of Ireland, still spoken in remote parts.

Scots Gaelic (n) - variant of Irish, spoken in highland Scotland before English, still spoken in remote parts like Lewis and Harris (whence Harris Tweed).

Lowland Scots (n) - a Scottish variant of English, known world-wide through the vernacular poetry (eg: Auld Lang Syne) of Robert Burns, possibly the world's most quoted poet. Now defunct (Burns and the language, but the poetry lives on).

Welsh (adj) - of Wales and its people.  Their nationality is British.

Welsh (n) - the original language of Wales, one of the few minority languages to be increasing in popularity (mainly so that English holiday-makers in Wales can't understand what is being said about them).

The terms "UK" and "British" are normally all you require to denote the country that is ruled nominally by Queen Elizabeth II (head of the British branch of an old German family), and actually by Tony Blair. "England" and "English" should generally be avoided, unless you know what you are doing.

Simple, really.

John