William Robb wrote:

Okay. I was thinking of the morons. But I know they've done studies that
people in nursing homes and other situations like that are helped by visits from a therapy dog. Loving something is probably good for most people. Those capable
of loving, that is. And loving something that appears to love you back.

My next door neighbor lured one of our cats away from us. We had 4 or 5 at the time, so we didn't mind overmuch. Bill was a nice old guy who really liked black and white cats. Festus (a veritable mountain of a cat) moved next door and lived there for almost 20 years. My neighbor only outlived the cat by a year or so.

Cat owners know...cats's choose their owners. <g>
The cat decides who to accompany thru life, and the lucky ones get chosen.
I'm happy your neighbor found a cat who deigned to love him and stay with him. It does make a huge difference in the quality of life.

We do therapy visits to nursing homes and care homes on a regular basis with our Rotties. Everyone, dogs included, enjoy these outings. We were at a therapy hospital for really badly damaged people a while back. One of our members put a dog in the lap of a lady who had been in a more or less vegetative state for several years. She reacted to this by starting to talk again (true story, I saw it myself).
So yeah, I think they do more good than harm, overall.

William Robb

Yup. Agree.

keith