I spent a few hours playing with the latest offering from Canon.
On the front of it we put a 70-200mm f2.8 lens and went walking around Sydney.
The camera is a 16.7 megapixel full frame shooting 4 fps. ISO from 100-1600 and
custom settings will stretch it from ISO 50-3200.

My first impression was, this is an ugly machine.
Upon lifting this beast it is immediately obvious that it should not be used
without a tripod. The combined weight of the lens + camera made this something
you dont want to carry for too long or too far. If you are hiking, a monopod
and/or neck strap are a must.

I must admit I was a more than a little lost on the control interface. My first
instinct was for my index finger to turn it on like an *istD but there is no
switch there. 10 mins of tuition had me comfortable with the basics and away
we went again.

This machine takes SD or CF cards but the 'hatch' to access them is not
something
that would be easy in low/no light, although the camera does have a built in
light
for the task but I was unable to find it. My interest was the ability to plug
the
camera directly to a pc/laptop and have the files saved directly to the hard
disk.
This can be done via USB (1.1) or a wireless connection. Does it get any better
than that?

I was told the LCD screen was large and bright and this may be the case in the
dark
but it was daylight and it was difficult to see. Even when venturing into a low
light situation it was not great, the *istD has it trumped in this area.

File sizes when shooting in RAW are at about 13-15 megs, but of course you can
reduce
this with several jpg file qualities to choose from. The firmware also has an
auto-rotate
feature for images. This could be quite useful for folks like myself where
every moment
saved in front of the computer is money saved.

What I was again looking for is the auto-focus mechanism. Fast. Several
metering options
are available with a gazillion variations, my primary interest was with the
camera set
to ISO 800 f2.8 and to whatever shutter speed manually set to 250. The focus
was sharp and
fast. In low light the performance was excellent, not once did I experience any
hunting.
It hit the mark 100% of the time.

I really only have the Hasselblad H1 to compare this to and when it comes down
bang for bucks, this one really has everybody in second place. I guess with the
only
16mp full frame 35mm sensor on the market they can charge what they like for
them.
The camera with 70-200mm f2.8 lens swings in at about AUD $15,000.00 but
compared to
the Hasselblad at about AUD $40,000.00 it really offers alot of bang for you
bucks.
Even though the blad is a MF camera, this really does compete and will
certainly be
at the forefront of alot of photographers shopping lists. I can see journo's and
wedding photographers looking for this en-masse.

If pentax is considering joining the MF Digital market then I think they really
need
to be looking at starting their sensor size at least better than the
oppositions 35mm
offering. I am still holding in there with pentax to early in the new year.

Kind regards
Kevin