Earlier this year, I purchased a Plextor PX-716UF --- and external drive --- which, to date, I am very impressed with. I move it from computer to computer as required with out any problem. I accepted various media without any problems. I like it better than any of the internal DVD drives that came with my computers. If they make an equivalent internal unit, I'd surely recommend looking at it.
Otis Wright

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

My DVD drive is only a 4X drive and upgrading to something faster and newer
seems in order, especially now that the hard drives are almost full.

What's ~your~ suggestion for a high quality internal drive? What, if any,
software issues must be taken into account? I'd like to continue with the
current software which has served me well and seems to be very compatible
with my machine. The program is NTI and, unlike some other programs I used
on other machines, this one works perfectly and has never even hiccuped. If
software needs to be changed to accommodate a new drive, what suggestions
have you?
Shel