Cory,
Although we all know that there is a QC variable that applies to
everything, the image produced by my SMC-M 28/f2.8 has never
disappointed me. I've also, never compared it to any other versions or
makes of the 28mm, so how do I know..?
My feeling is that it might come in second against my A* 28~70 f/2.8.
I'll give a test.

Jack