Gautam Sarup wrote:
On 2/21/06, John Coyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

And I find 45 focus points laughable: the CPU must spend a huge amount of
time analysing the optimum focus distance from all those inputs!
I may be missing something there though and I'd be happy for someone to
explain the benefits to me...

Actually, I'd be curious to know how many use more than one spot.

I find it easier to focus using the center AF spot, recompose and shoot
than to fiddle with a switch and a knob to change the focus point, then
press the shutter etc. or let the camera pick a spot.

Cheers,
Gautam

When I had my D, I usually left it locked to the centre point, occasionally choosing another. I almost never used Auto point selection, which almost always picked the worst possible point.

With my EOS 3 (45 point unit) I usually leave it in auto, and use FTM focusing to override the selection if necessary (And available, but I only use one lens which doesn't offer it), of course I could use Eye Controlled Focus, but that doesn't like my eyes (I squint). Manual Af point selection on the 3 is something that is a little problematic.

-Adam