I've read that the nodal point is usually somewhere near the aperature blades of a lens. It seems to me, that with modest length lenses, doing either vertical or horizontal panos would be kind of easy to do with a two axis rail. The L-R axis could compensate for any off-lens-axis tripod mount on a camera, and the Forward-Backward axis could be used to position the lens nodal point more or less over the center of the tripod post. Anyone tried this?

I'm looking forward to experimenting with such shots with my Optio SV.

BTW, it seems to me that pano shots would be one heck of a lot easier with a pan/tilt head than a ball head, even a ball head with a pano base. This would be particularly true for vertical panos or 2-D panos.

Comments invited.

-Lon