Aaron,

This was the question to which I was responding:

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 15:13:23 -0700
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: OT: help from the RAW file shooters

On Apr 6, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Aaron Reynolds wrote:

>> He's new. He will find the calling soon enough Grasshopper.:-)
>> He found hot pixels, he will find Raw.<g>
>
> I have found the calling: I'm in The Brotherhood.  This digital
> camera thing is for work that is about speed, not quality.  Why
> would I shoot RAW when I could shoot 67?

For those situations when you want to get everything the DSLR can do.
It's not about increased resolution, it's about getting all the
dynamic range that the sensor can capture.

It will still be dozens of times faster than processing, scanning,
and printing 6x7 film. A good, automated RAW workflow makes it barely
any more work to get standard JPEGs out of the process than capturing
in JPEG format to begin with, but nets you the ability to go further
when scene conditions warrant additional effort.

Godfrey

Note that I never said anything against your delight in the 6x7, or called you an idiot or exhibited any "zealotry" about RAW format. You asked why you *would* capture digitally in RAW format vs use your 6x7 with an emphasis on the speediness of the digital. I responded objectively. A comparison of 6x7 to DSLR RAW imaging qualities was not the point of my response, nor was I commenting on the specific high-volume-picture-production situation you are currently engaged in. I was answering as to why you *might* shoot RAW when you *could* use the 6x7. Period.

Regards the original post: