If you're going to use poor scanning technique you will end up with bad scans, which will bias your results in favor of pure digital capture. My crappy scanner gives better results than I saw in that comparison. I've become almost completely digital but mostly due to convenience not quality. Though the quality from raw capture on both the *ist-D and Ds are more than acceptable, if I really worked at it and used perfectly exposed negatives or slides I could do better.