The Transportation Security Administration has not yet updated its web
site today. I heard on a news report, though, that electronic devices
are not allowed in carry-on bags on flights from the U.S. to and from
any location in Europe, or with connections anywhere in Europe -- not
just England.

According to some reports, the would-be bombers were going to trigger
the liquid explosives from the flash units of disposable cameras. So I
think there is a good chance that cameras will be banned from carry-on
bags to and from Europe.

I am scheduled to leave for Italy on September 8. It is another
conference that I must attend (and that someone else is paying for), but
I had hoped to spend a couple of days before the conference in Venice.
Naturally, photography would be a big part of those two days.

So if I have to put my *ist D in my checked bag, can I still carry my
lenses on board? Are the security employees sophisticated enough to
understand that a lens is not, by itself, an electronic device?

What to do? I could--

--just put the D in my checked bag and hope for the best.

--Buy a cheap DL, K100, or K110 and take that instead.

--Buy a case that is designed for shipping photo gear (but this would
not prevent theft).

--Wait until I am in Europe, contact the black market, and buy a camera
newly stolen from someone's checked bag.

For those of you who sometimes fly overseas, I am wondering how you plan
to handle this problem.

List members in Europe: Please let us know what you are hearing.

Thanks,

Joe