Ann
According to the Edmund Scientific website, polarizing film can be had for
about $15 for a sheet 8.5 inches by 5 inches or a 2 inch square 2 pack can
be had for $6.40.  As I understand it you need two pretty strong strobes
since you'll be losing a lot of light.  To orient the films overlay your
lens' polarizing filter with the film and rotate for miminum tranmittance.
Mark the top of the film and the top of the polarizing filter in this
orientation.  Now when you install the film on the strobes and the filter on
your lens make sure your marks are still on top.  In the applications I've
heard of the strobes were mounted on a bracket attached to the camera with
one strobe on each side.
To see an example of this technique in use go to www.leppimages.com and
choose to view the Shoreline Print collection.  The sand dollar picture
labeled "Sparkling Embrace" (lower left on page 1) used the cross polar
technique.  Note it retains the strongest reflections withouth the image
being overpowered.  I'm not sure about the other two sand dollar pictures.
I'm sure an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] would yield a list of which of his
images were made using the cross polar technique.