Kevin, again, thanks so much --
I'm leaving all you wrote below because I archive things in
my sent mail - hope other PDMLers don't mind - I think your
info is very  um illuminating - and I'm not surprised that
it turns up in something George Lepp wrote -- I used to read
him  religiously.  Having studied a bit of Microscopic
Petrology I knew about crossed Nichols.  The prices you
mention are not
prohibitive.

Best,
Ann