Depends on the destroyer. The smaller ASW Destroyers like the Canadian
Tribal's are the size of a Light Cruiser, and similarly carry no armor,
while an Arleigh Burke is the size of a modern cruiser (They're
essentially the same size as a Ticonderoga) or a WW2 Heavy Cruiser but
carries no armor, while a Heavy Cruiser (apart from the lightly armored
Treay Cruisers of the late 20's and 30's) carried notable amounts of
armor. The only armored ships in common service today are Carriers.

These days role determines the designation, although this does vary by
Navy. Destroyers are general purpose combatants, Cruisers are fleet
command ships and Frigates are light combatants or dedicated ASW platforms.

-Adam