From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Adam Maas
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 12:32 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: k10d and manual-aperture lenses?

No, there is nothing to prevent it being re-implemented. But the Camera
makers in the position to do so (Nikon and Pentax, the only two of major

makers stillusing their MF mount) have written it off on consumer and
semi-pro bodies a number of years ago. This happened in the film era,
we've actually got more functionality on the Pentax DSLR's than on many
recent film bodies (*ist, MZ-30/50/60, many more on the Nikon side).

Would I like to see the Aperture Simulator return? Hell Yes. Do I expect

it? Not unless Pentax makes a K1D. Can I live without it? Most
Assuredly.

-Adam

J. C. O'Connell wrote:
> Bullshit. There is nothing to prevent its implementation
> In the future, either by Pentax or other camera makers
> Using the PK mount.
> jco

Of
> Adam Maas
> Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 11:45 AM
> To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
> Subject: Re: k10d and manual-aperture lenses?
>
> Because it ain't shit.
>
> The green button hack is one of the reasons I bought the K100D to
> replace my D50. Some metering is better than no metering. And that's
the

> choice we're faced with.
>
> The Aperture Simulator is dead. Deal With It. Those of us who shoot
with

> K glass and the DSLR's are doing just fine.
>
> -Adam
>

> J. C. O'Connell wrote:
>> Why settle for shit for no reason?
>> Glass is still definitely half empty.
>> jco

DSLR.
>> was
>> minutes away from buying a K100D when the K10D was announced...
>>
>> I have a lot of manual-aperture K-mount glass, so being able to use
it
>> on
>> a new DSLR is important to me.  I know there are workarounds for
using
>> such on the K100D but they're pretty bad (metering on DOF-preview
only
>> and/or manually setting aperture to match the lens's).
>>
>> The dpreview page
>> (http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxk10d/page2.asp)
>> and a few other verbatim copies thereof explicitly says
>> "Ability to use lens aperture ring" so I was very excitted to think
> that
>> Pentax would have finally fixed this (idiotic) design error on the
> K10D.
>> But, the press photos of the K10D clearly show an absence of a
>> mechanical
>> aperture coupling lever.  And the (mis)released manual from a couple
> of
>> days ago documents the same behavior as the K100D.  Can anyone
confirm
>> this for sure one was or the other?
>>
>> Also, can anyone explain to me why the K100D (and apparently the
K10D)