On the Ds at least, (I'll check the D later), you have the option of CW
and Spot metering with K-M lenses.  Not as nice in some circumstances as
matrix metering but I most often find myself using CW anyway, at least I
have some idea how the meter might be going wrong in difficult lighting,
with matrix I have now clue how the scene is being evaluated, which
makes it a bitch to correct.

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

                        --Albert Einstein