Hi James -- The regular non-shutter 90 is an excellent sharp lens that is a
good alternative "normal" to the 105. It focuses to .65m vs 1.0m for my old
105, so it's nicer in that respect, and as mentioned it's very compact in
size. It is one of the fast group of 6x7 lenses that includes the new 75mm,
90mm, 105mm, and 165mm that are f/2.8 or faster.

But the 90 is not a wide angle lens. The only fast wide is the 75mm f/2.8
AL, recently introduced and still pricy. Next wider is the 55mm; the
earliest (f/3.5) version was quite large but can be found at lower prices
than the later (f/4) varieties. I bought a new 55mm f/4 in 1981, and I think
it had been introduced not long before that. It's a great lens, and has
developed a reputation for excellent performance. About like a 27-28mm lens
in 135 format, so it's distinctly wide, and focuses down to .35m.

If you've found a good 90 at a low price, that might be worth considering,
but not if that expense would detract from your ability to get a wider lens
that you desire more.

Mi Doug