From: Terence Mac Goff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 6:44 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Best Zoom lens

hi all.

after spending the last few days scanning all my slides from my summer
hols, I've decided to stomp my 28-200 Pentax lens to dust. (luckily, I was
also using another lens as well, so I have most of the shots twice thank
[Insert appropriate Deity here].

I shot a LOT of Provia F (Sharp, nice film), but I've been quite
disappointed by the sharpness of the lens (very very awful at the long end).

I'm going to replace it with something more useful. I use this lens as
general purpose on a few cameras, so I'd ideally prefer AF, but not if
there is a good lens in MF.

Currently, my thoughts would be:
Tamron 24-135 (I've read some rave reviews about this lens, and my
experience with tamron is quite good to date - the 90/2.8 macro is awesome,
as is the 20-40 zoom)

Pentax 35-1?5 (Cant remember which one this is (105 or 135?), but I've seen
quite a few people on the list talking about it over the last while)

I already have most of the primes to cover these ranges, but there are
times when you don't want to lug 4 lenses with you, which is why I want a
nice crisp zoom.

So basically, and advice/prejudices/blatant shilling would be appreciated :)

Thanks

T.