I think that most reviews are only a minor guide.  Half of what they
say, I don't necessarily agree with.

I can say, in practice, that all P&S cameras that I have owned or
tried, are fairly poor compared to the DSLR's out there.  But the real
trick is to consider what the camera is and what it is targeted for.

In the case of the A10 - my wife absolutely loves it.  She used to
have the original Optio S before that and before that one, she
wouldn't use a P&S regularly because they were too big and clumsy.

What she likes on the A10 - SIZE, SIZE, SIZE.  It is basically the
same size as her old Optio S (Altoids tin) camera.  What this means to
her is that is sits in her purse all the time, ready for any quick
shot that happens.  She is trying to record history and make memories
of our family life.  So the camera that actually is at the events, is
the camera that gets used.  An example - she has to run one of the
kids to school - as she gets there she finds out that the child is
being given a little award in class.  So she stays for a few extra
minutes, pulls out her camera and records the event.  It is one thing
to take a camera to a planned event, it is quite another to be ready
for the little moments.  She also takes just as much video with it as
stills.  While the video is not the most superb quality, it is good
enough for the purpose.  It even has image stabilization while
videoing (helpful for my wife) and stores in mpeg 4 (43 minutes per
gigabyte in 640X480 X 30 FPS).

So perhaps the angle I work from is that the purpose of a P&S camera,
to me, is to have something that can be easily pocketed and pulled out
for those times when you can't plan for a bigger, more powerful
camera.

All the little cameras suffer from similar problems.  If you learn how
to work with them a bit, then it is not a real issue.  I think what
happens is the reviews have to be comparative - without providing any
weight to the things being compared.  If a P&S was ready to shoot from
power on in .1 sec versus 1.0 seconds, in the real world of use for
the intended user, it is insignificant.  If you learn how to focus
lock before firing, then focus lag is not a big problem.  (All P&S
cameras that I have tried are fairly mediocre on focus)  It is really
a matter of using a camera the intended way and see how it works.  The
A-10 has been a worthy upgrade to the original Optio S.  When I bought
it from my local camera store (primarily a Nikon shop), the clerk said
they sell them a lot more than the Nikon P&S cameras.  They obviously
sell the SLR's on the Nikon way more than Pentax.

I'm not really trying to defend the Pentax A10 against the reviews,
only that I find the camera quite adequate for it's intended use.
When I want a real camera for use, I wouldn't use any of the P&S - I'd
use a DSLR.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

JL> Hi Bruce,

JL> Well, what bothered me was a strange unanimity in various reviews:

>>From Dpreview:
JL> "On the other hand it can be really, really annoying to use;
JL> by today's standards shooting feels slow and unresponsive, and has
JL> a screen that can't be seen at all in bright weather. Throw in the
JL> dismal battery life and total unsuitability as a social 'party
JL> snaps' camera and you'd think this was a camera you'd only
JL> recommend to someone with a masochistic streak, or someone you
JL> really didn't like."

>>From DCResource:
JL> "Camera performance is undoubtedly the A10's weak spot. The
JL> camera is slow to start up, there's noticeable shutter lag
JL> (especially with flash shots), and shot-to-shot speeds are below
JL> average. Focusing speeds were about average, and low light
JL> focusing was good thanks to the A10's AF-assist lamp. The camera's
JL> continuous shooting mode was especially poor. While it will keep
JL> shooting until you run out of memory, the 0.5 fps frame rate and
JL> blacked out LCD make the feature almost useless. Battery life was
JL> well below average."

>>From Steves digicams:
JL> "Bottom line - While the Pentax Optio A10 offers some
JL> appealing features (8-megapixels, Shake Reduction, etc.), the
JL> overall performance of this camera in all areas was disappointing.
JL> It does have the ability to capture pleasing photos that have
JL> enough resolution to create poster size prints. However, its poor
JL> movie mode results and extremely slow shooting performance really
JL> bring the model down."

JL> After this I concluded that performance was a real issue with
JL> this camera and, thus, that it should be addressed in its
JL> replacement model. That is why I was disappointed when Margus
JL> mentioned that the A20's was 'a little slow in operation'.

JL> Anyway I am glad to hear that, from your actual experience, you don't find
it that slow.