Yes, for me, on the istDS, the ease of focus is similar at equal f-stops.
I am not trying to say this, I am saying it.  Try it yourself and see what
your experience is.

Many modern finders and screens are brighter than many older finders and
screens.  While i don't know the physics of it, I believe it has something
to do with channeling a given amount of light through a smaller viewfinder,
something, perhaps, akin to looking at a scene normally and then through a
toilet paper roll core.  When looking through the TP roll core, things
appear more contrasty and sharper.  Perhaps someone who knows how to better
explain the physics of all this will jump in at some point. All I can do is
tel you what my experience is.

Shel