>> Actually, I'm running the linux kernel version 2.6.18.3 which was
>> released on November 16, 2006 on a machine with 2GB buffered ECC RAM
>> and
>> two 2.4 GHz Athlon processors.  The hardware is a bit dated (IIRC it
>> was
>> about 18 months ago I bought it), but chances are pretty good that the
>> OS
>> you are using (if it be Winders or MacOS) is not as recent....
>> "modern"
>> has nothing to do with it.
>>
>> WRT my choice of operating system, the concept of "open-source" is
>> something you might want to read into sometime...
>>

> When you said your Mac was 12 years old, I naturally presumed that is
> what you were using, not the unmentioned AMD.
> Not being a computer geek, I just use what works for me and get on with
> life.
> I am aware of the concept of open source.
> I'm not sure how it applies here though.
> Open source doesn't guarantee universal acceptance, merely the
> possibility of same.
> I was dealing with "open-source" in a different field some 20 years ago.
>
> William Robb

        I was describing the computers that I have that are "mainstream."
The PC runs linux (not Winders), and the MacOS machine is incapable of
even running MacOSX.  I can see how my statement was confusing.

        Most non-computer-geeks also don't have a concept of backups.
When their hard drive dies, they lose everything.  I consider the lack of
support of a data format to be a similar loss.  Having the standards open
is a good start (e.g. DNG) in that it ensures at least *potential*
readability of data in the future.  Having no means of converting that
information from a PEF using reverse-engineered specs provides me with no
benefit, however.  The same open-source tools that are available to
process DNG's can also process PEF's as well.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *