From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Jostein Øksne
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 5:42 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: The "Film Look"

JCO, maybe you were referring to neg film. You wrote only "film" in
general, so I couldn't know, could I? :-)

Your arguments has a flip side that goes:
If you don't need negatives, there's no point in shooting negative film
either. Unless you want a certain "look" that is not available in slide
film IMHO.

Without any further substantiation, those claims seem quite futile to
someone coming from the-other-kind-of-film. But that's not the point.

You ask about dynamic range in digital versus films. Back in 2002 (seems
like ages ago, doesn't it...) people on this list maintained that slide
film had, on average, about five stops latitude between highlights and
deepest shadows. Agfa slide films were reputed to have about half or one
stop more, resulting in more details in the highlights.

Colour negative film was much debated, and dynamic range varied more
among brands and types than did slide film. IIRC, an average figure was
about eight stops of latitude. B/W negative film was towering above
everything with about 10 stops, depending on brands and types, and very
much on development technique and chemicals.

>From my personal experience with *istD, I would say that the latitude
is around 6-7 stops for a raw file, placing it firmly between slide and
colour negative film.

To your question about producing slides from digital, the answer is yes.
I believe it is possible to produce colour negatives from digital as
well. A negative film would contain the dynamic range of a raw file,
while a slide film would not.

Jostein

JCO wrote:
> I was reffering to color or BW neg film.
> Can you
> get slides from digital files and are
> they any wider dynamic range than shooting
> slide film in the first place?
> If you
> dont really need slides, then there
> isnt much point in shooting slide film