On 15/01/07, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "The topology of the interfaces of the cards make CF far more
> reliable from a technical standpoint ..."
>
> That is a meaningless statement. It sounds well-informed but says
> nothing. Combine it with

We really do have to be specific around here. I should have prefaced
the word "topology" with the word "circuit"

> "... granted they may not offer quite the mechanical durability of
> the SD system ..."
>
> What could the 'topology of the interfaces of the cards' refer to
> other than the design of the connector and card cage assembly, which
> is precisely the advantage cited in 'the mechanical durability of the
> SD system ...' ? It's just BS, Rob. The fine-wire multipin interface
> of the CF cards is well known to be the part that makes them more
> unreliable than SD cards in use.

Topology when referring to electronic circuits generally refers to the
electronic circuit design and has nothing to do with physical layout
unless of course the circuit layout is intrinsic to the operation ie
in the case of high power or RF circuitry, neither is the case in this
situation. Mechanically SD may be more reliable but their inherent
circuit design makes them less reliable than CF when it comes to
interface incompatibilities as you mention below.

> Incompatibility issues with different SD card readers have to do with
> the implementation of the controllers. CF cards contain their own
> controllers and thus the readers are simpler, that's why there might
> be fewer CF cards returned as defective where the real issue is a
> poor reader. The same issue exists in Memory Stick and xD cards.
>
> > Then you're exceedingly lucky.
>
> My "luck" is identical to that of many of my friends, Rob. If I'm
> "exceedingly lucky", then a LOT of people are.

I don't know how many friend you have or if any even use SD cards,
what I do know is that a quick look here and on other digital photo
forums confirms my personal experiences.

--
Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA