> Personally I always preferred the bumper-sticker slogan:
>
>   "Real Programmers can write FORTRAN in any language"
>
> (sometimes seen with "assembly code" instead of "FORTRAN")

there's a lot of truth in that. If you can program in one procedural
language, you can program in them all. Similarly, if you can program
in one declarative language, you can program in them all.

I would add that being able to program in a declarative language means
you can easily program in a procedural language, and probably rather
better than someone who doesn't think declaratively. Conversely being
able to program procedurally does not imply that you will ever be able
to program well declaratively.

Not quite such a snappy soundbite as yours, though!

Bob