My process:

1) When I move from SD to harddrive, everything is also copied to a CD-R.
2) Raw files are processed and moved to a directory "For Second
Backup", Jpegs are copied to "My Pictures"
3) When the "For Second Backup" reaches approx 4G, it's copied to a
DVD-R, and removed from the harddrive.
4) I use the Photoshop Elements backup utility to recommend the Jpeg
backups. I always do a full backup.

The Raw DVDs are kept in my detached garage (about 30ft from the house).

Therefore, I have Raw files on CD & DVD.
JPEGS on multiple backup DVDs.

dk

> Yeah, I am back, couldn't stay away.  :-)
>
> I was talking with some people today about fire. Several condos here  over
> the years have been gutted by fires. Made me think I should get a safety
> deposit box and copy my digital photos to DVD and put them in it.  When I
> think of
> fire the first thing that springs to mind is what a shame it would be  to lose
> all my photos. But I've been negligent about it.
>
> And, although,  this has been discussed some before, it made me think of a
> poll -- I am curious  how many others are negligent like me -- so...
>

> This could apply to  film as well as digital, but digital is probably easier
> (we'll find  out).
>
> 1. Do you have a location in which you put backup copies of your
> JPG/DNG/RAWs (etc.), negatives, and/or prints? Is it a location other than
> your  home, in
> case of fire or disaster?
>

> 2. If, so, is it a safety  deposit box? Or is it a fire-proof strong box at
> home? Or something  else?
>

> 3. How often do you do make backup copies to safely store  away? Do you have
> some sort of backup schedule or is it sort of hit and  miss?
>

> Anything else about backing up copies that you want to  add...
>

> Marnie aka Doe :-)
>
> <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
> http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp.  Most comprehensive set of free
> safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across
> the
> web, free AOL Mail and much more.

www.pbase.com/davekennedy
Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada