If you can find a Sunday NY Times, you're in for a special treat. It
includes a long article about Jeff Wall. For those unfamiliar with
his work, he produces huge photographs on large format film. Many are
backlit transparencies, measuring 8 x 12 feet and even larger. Some
are silver prints of similar dimension. Much of his recent work is
staged "street photography." For example, he spent over six months
shooting a scene of young people on the sidewalk in front of a night
club. When he couldn't find a good camera position at the actual
location, he built a duplicate of the scene in a studio, hired extras
to play the part of the young people, and recreated the original
vision. He strives to bring the detail and dimensions of large format
and huge displays to street-style subject matter.  In his entire
career he has only completed somewhere around 130 photographs I
believe. They sell for about a million dollars apiece through his
gallery. That being said, I found the reproductions in the Times to
range from very ordinary to interesting. However, I suppose reducing
that kind of work to newsprint in a little square is cruelly
debilitating. The author notes that photography has "come out of the
basement" in the world of art museums. And prices at auction for
photographs have skyrocketed in recent years, while those for
paintings have risen only modestly. On the other hand, he
demonstrates a lack of real knowledge here and there. For example,
when discussing how typical street photography is more blurred and
grainy, he mentions Weegee and HCB in the same sentence. Apparently,
unaware that the work of the two is totally different, and of course
Weegee's documentary photography is anything but blurred and grainy.
That being said, it's a good read. Don't know if it's on the web.
Paul