I've always been inspired by Paul Caponigro's still life work.  Last
month's issue of LensWork featured a photographer by the name of Guy
Gagnon, a French Canadian living in Belgium.  His photographs are
black and white renderings of dried plants against a black velvet
background.  Since it's snowing outside and I didn't really feel like
getting out, I draped a black sweatshirt over a dining chair, parked
it next to the window, and took a few frames of this leaf that
recently fell off one of my wife's plants.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sdloveless/PDMLPESO/photo#5035527265195980162

I shot this with the K100D and 18-55 kit lens at 45mm, f11, 0.3
seconds, -1.5EV, ISO 200, and then tinkered around with it a bit in
Picasa.  I think it needs more depth of field.  I think I need a
better understanding of black and white conversion.  I know I'm going
to want that 35mm Macro Limited.

Comments and critiques most welcome.  Thanks for looking.

--
Scott Loveless
http://www.twosixteen.com