Both these lenses are very good quality. I have owned and used the
DA14 since I bought my *ist DS in January 2005. I recently had a look
at a batch of test shots taken with the DA12-24. It confirmed my
prior notions based on people's testimonial:

- Both are very sharp.
- At 14mm focal length, the DA14 outperforms the DA12-24 with respect
to rectilinear correction and chromatic aberration. The difference is
not enormous, nor does it make the DA12-24 unusable in any way.
- Both seem to reach their best performance about 2 stops down from
wide open, which mean around f/4.5-5.6 for the DA14 and around f/5.6-
f/8 for the DA12-24.

So ... if the focal length flexibility is a plus and the additional
weight/size is not an issue, the DA12-24 is a great choice. If you
prefer smaller size/lighter weight and additional speed, the DA14 is
the right choice. The DA14 is also a bit less expensive.

Isn't it great when all choices are good? I'm very happy with the
DA14, it fits my style of shooting very well.

Godfrey