Shel, I'll try to explain how I see it.
The roadblocks or whatever they are in the foreground are not at all
interesting to me, and make this a view on an industrial area, whereas
there is a nice landscape with cloudy sky around these weird
pseudo-windmills or pseudo-rockets. By cropping within landscape-format,
this to me results in a better picture although the horizon gets a bit
too low. Marnie catched this idea of windmills look-alike well and just
concentrated on this. But her pic shows a minimum of landscape in the
distance. Cropping your picture to get rid of these distracting white
roadblocks makes it more dramatic and surely would make the position of
these silos within the landscape entirely different to Marnie's picture,
though it is lacking some of the area in the distance.
If you forgive me, I would say that if you are aiming only for some
context as you remark, then all you get is a not so interesting
documentary picture showing the area of Napa, California.

Henk