Fra: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] vegne af Godfrey
DiGiorgi
Sendt: 19. maj 2007 08:41
Til: PDML List
Emne: OT: a Panasonic L1 ...

Watching the price on the Panasonic DMC-L1 drop lower and lower, when
the price of the camera and Leica 14-50 lens dropped to barely $120
more than the cost of the lens alone I decided to buy one. I've
gotten excellent results from my previous Panasonic cameras with
Leica-branded lenses, the Live View LCD feature was appealing to me,
and I just liked the darn thing. I figured that if the body was a
total lump of junk, the lens had to be worth it and I could stick it
on a better 4/3 System body as needed.

It arrived today. I hooked it up on AC power, updated the firmware to
the latest, formatted a couple of SD cards for it, and put the
battery on the charger.

An hour later, battery all charged up, I took a short walk, met
friends ...

   http://www.gdgphoto.com/l1test/

thots:
- NICE lens. Very NICE lens.
- Very reasonable noise at ISO 400-800, better than I expected.
- A bit on the bulky side; I'll want at least one compact, light
prime lens.
   Maybe an old 20mm Nikkor with a mount adapter, or that Oly 35mm f/
3.5 macro.
   The Summilux D 25mm f/1.4 looks interesting but (as expected) very
expensive.
   I can fit Pentax lenses to it easily with a 4/3 mount adapter too.
- Focusing and shutter release are quite responsive, deceptively good.
- Form factor and layout are very different from the Pentax DSLRs
I've been
   using for a while. That will take some time to get used to. Its
capabilities and
   strengths complement my Pentax kit nicely.
- Live View is extremely good.
- Optical viewfinder is better than expected although no contest
against the
   Pentax K10D.

It's a very different camera in use, feels much like I remember the
Leica M in the hand although a bit bulkier. The shutter and mirror
are quiet and have a pleasant sound. It feels very nicely made
through and through. I still need to learn some of the details in the
menu and control functions.

It was worth it... It will be a nice complement/adjunct to the Pentax
kit.

Bob W and I can share 4/3 mount lenses next time I'm in London... ;-)

enjoy
Godfrey

17:18

Checked by AVG Free Edition.