It makes a nice change to see someone trying to measure real life
computing speed with a package I actually use.

In the UK the magazine tests involve games I've never heard of. Having
thankfully missed out on versions 1 - 26 of "Doom" or whatever, the
fact that Doom 27 can be run at even higher resolution with quicker
frame rates is of no interest to me.

Try moving the cursor in a line of text in Word from the beginning to
the end using the arrow key. This process hasn't speeded up for
decades, yet moving the cursor around is something I do all the time.

How long does the latest version of Word or Excel take to load? How
long does the machine take to boot up? By these tests, computing is
slowing down.

On a positive note I have noticed the CS3 loads up quicker than CS, so
well done Adobe.

Rant over

Peter